Angelina Radiation Oncology Associates

History of Arthur Temple, Sr. Regional Cancer Center

AROA Picture As far back as 1959 when Dr. Ernest Seitz first brought radiotherapy to Lufkin, cancer treatment has been available to the residents of East Texas. Memorial Hospital was only the seventh hospital in Texas to obtain a Cobalt-60 machine for the treatment of cancer!

Dr. William B. Shelton, Jr., who joined the staff in 1969, and Dr. Billy G. Kistler shared cancer treatment duties in addition to their diagnostic radiology treatment following Dr. Seitz's retirement in 1982. As the field of radiation oncology advanced, Dr. Shelton devoted his time solely to cancer treatment, while Dr. Kistler moved full-time to diagnostic radiology work.

AROA PictureIn 1989 the Arthur Temple, Sr. Regional Cancer Center was built adjoining Memorial Hospital. During this time two state-of-the-art linear accelerators for radiation therapy were added as the backbone of a complete, modern department.

Dr. Sid Roberts joined Dr. Shelton in 1992 and has been Medical Director of the Center since 1997. Dr. Shelton retired from active practice in 2000.

In 2005, under Dr. Roberts' direction, the Temple Regional Cancer Center began using Intensity Modulated Radiation Therapy (IMRT), a technology that places the Center in an elite number of facilities on the cutting edge of radiation therapy delivery. With IMRT, higher doses of radiation are able to be given with fewer side effects.

Since 1989 the T. L. L. Temple Foundation has been instrumental in providing funds for construction and the purchase of equipment to ensure that the citizens of East Texas have access to affordable, accessible and high-quality healthcare close to home.

Directions to Temple Cancer Center.